Friday, March 15, 2013

Guest Scholar Post: Student Empowered Learning

Student Empowered Learning
By: Wyatt, a  6th grade scholar

"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink"
~unknown
                                                                                                  
     Student empowered learning means that teachers can give you the tools, but it is up to YOU to learn.  To me this means getting good grades.  I do this by listening to the teacher and studying for my test.

     An example of student empowered learning is when I study for pre-algebra.  The teacher teaches me the lesson, but it's my choice and responsibility to learn and study the lesson.  Another example is when my Mom is lecturing me.  Words are coming out of her mouth, but it's my choice to listen to them.  My Mom is smart, so it behooves me to listen to what she has to say.

     It is important to WANT to learn so that you have knowledge in your brain.  If you don't want to learn, I think you are dumb.  Education is power.  People who don't get an education don't have good opportunities.  I want good opportunities so I can make good money and have a good life.

     Another reason Student Empowered Learning is important is because you can learn EVERYWHERE, if you want to.  You can read things, you can watch documentaries and movies, you can listen to your Mom lecture, you can even learn on You Tube.  Sometimes I watch TED talks in You Tube.  This is how I learned about right brain and left brain, after listening to a doctor who survived a stroke talk about what happened to her.

     The point is that you have a choice to make whenever someone talks to you, to listen or not to listen.    You have a choice to use your education to make the best of it.  We are lucky to have free school in America.  If you don't do your best you are basically wasting freedom.  No one can make you want to be an empowered student, but I want to be one.

Wyatt won 2nd place in our "JAA Place To Be Contest". The scholars chose their favorite 9 Core Value . They could produce a video, write a story or create an art piece. We will be featuring the winners within the next week.  So check back often!

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Wyatt! With that attitude, you will get a great education, not only during the years that you are in school, but as you learn throughout your life. Thanks for being a great example to the scholars and parents at John Adams Academy!

    ReplyDelete